Friday, February 16, 2007

Census Records

I have found that census records are a great tool in the quest for your family history. The information provided on the newer census records are a great font of information. It is important to remember that census records are only released every tens years and only 70 years back. We currently have available the 1930's census and in 2010 the 1940's census will be released. The farther back you travel the less information you will receive. Eventually it will only list the head of the household.

When I use census records, I print out a copy of a blank census record and input the information into it for the specific person I am looking at. I do this because I am able to see and understand the information provided easier. Once I have input the information, I then input it into the computer program I use to keep track of my family history. When I have accomplished that, then I file the census record under the family that it belongs to.

It is important to verify the information on the census records, with land records, birth and death records, family bibles, church records, etc., because the older records were written by individuals and the ink has faded or been damaged and they didn't always write neatly. They also didn't always know how to spell the person's name and would write down what they thought.

Census records are a great tool for you. They will supplement the information you already have and possibly give you the lead you need to find the information you are looking for.

As always, Happy Hunting
Patti

No comments: