Tuesday, February 13, 2007

WWI Draft Papers

I noticed when I pulled up my grandfather's WWI draft papers that it listed him being born in a different country than we have him from. I thought this was interesting and did a little bit of research into it. I located the town on a map of the Czech Republic and found that it wasn't far from the border of Austria. I do know that the borders changed during that time frame but haven't figured out if he was classified as Czech or Austrian. I do know that census records show that he was from Czechoslovakia, but haven't been able to find his immigration records because of a fire in Galveston that destroyed quite a bit of documentation.

When looking up different resources for information, it can really throw a wrench in the works if you find information contrary to what you currently have, but the important thing is to not get upset. If anything this information will help you find out more about your ancestor, because the more information we have the clearer picture we can create.

We were able to determine that at the time of my grandfather's immigration he was a Czech. We were able to determine this because we know the language he spoke was Czech. So I figured the information on the draft papers was listed as Austria because at the time Austria had changed it borders and taken over that town. If anyone else has any ideas I would love to hear them.

Thanks and enjoy your look into the past!
Patti

No comments: